Initial Thoughts

To introduce yourself to your First Year advisor, use the Edit tab above and answer the questions in the spaces below, then click on "save" and "publish." (You will need to click on “Publish This Page” and “Publish All Changes” when it appears.)

These questions should take 15 to 20 minutes to answer. When you have finished the prompts, saved and published them, then submit the assignment to your advisor (directions for submitting are below).

1. What areas of study or possible majors are you presently considering? How did you develop these interests, and what is it about these areas of study that you find compelling?

As of right now, I have declared as a Physics major. I am looking to major in a science or techincal field, as it will be most applicable to my future career. I have interests in Chemistry, Biology, and other areas of science, but the concepts and applications of Physics are most fascinating to me. Due to my status as an NROTC scholarship midshipman, my career and scholarship require that I earn a technical degreee. This works out perfectly, beacuse in taking a community college course in Physics, I discovered a love for the role it plays in all sciences. I look forward to exploring the subject of physics through my major, and hopefully continue to love its concepts. My future career as a US Naval Officer will require a skilled, well-educated person, and my special interest in the nuclear submarine program would coincide perfectly with my major.

In the event that Physics is not the major for me, I have many alternatives I am excited about. I would remain within the College of Science to ensure I pursue a major applicable to my future career, but turning my education to the focuses of Chemistry or Biology instead. Also, my high school experience as a student mentor for younger students, an NC Teacher Cadet, and a student teacher in a third grade classroom has fostered a love of teaching in my life. This has led me to consider the Science-Education integration major as my primary choice for an alternative major. It would properly instruct me in both various sciences and education, preparing me for my Navy career, as well as a potential teaching career.

2. In addition to the informational content of the courses you selected for the fall, what skills do you hope to improve or develop through those courses (written and oral communication skills, analytical skills, mathematical skills, cultural competence, etc.)? How will these skills help you prepare for your possible major and/or for your future after you graduate?

I hope the math and sciences courses that I have planned for this semester will challenge me, pushing me to develop my analytical and mathematical skills. Considering I aim to major in Physics and go on to a military career with a potential involvement in nuclear physics, the honing of these skills will be paramount. 

I hope that through my University Philosophy Seminar and my Moreau First Year to increase my exposure to new ideas and perspectives. Through the experiences and work in these classes, I hope to increase my cultural awareness and my oral communication skills. This will help me relate and consider many different ideas and backgrounds in my future undergraduate classes. As a future officer, it will be key for me to be successful in communicating with my peers and subordinates. My potential involvement in international affairs may also be greatly aided by a developed ability to understand different cultures and relate to people from different backgrounds.

3. Everyone has some fears about their first year of college. They often worry about their ability to manage the separation from family and friends, make new friends, live with a roommate, fit into a new environment, have enough money for expenses, choose a major, and adjust to college academics, etc. List your top 3 concerns about your transition to college. Be specific. Your advisor is likely to have some practical advice to assist you with these concerns.

1.  Being unprepared to handle my course load for the semester, or struggling to succeed and grasp the course material.
  2.  Becoming homesick and greatly missing my family and friends back home.
  3.  Struggling to balance my academic life with my social life, as I have a tendency to overwork myself and forget to take a break once in a while.

4. First year advising at Notre Dame is likely to be different from the advising you received in high school. Your advisor will assist you in making the transition to college academics and accessing the resources ND has in place to smooth the way. He or she will also help you understand and begin to make informed choices about the basics of the University’s requirement and elective course system. You will talk with your advisor about your academic hopes, concerns, and plans, and he or she will suggest paths and opportunities to fit your goals. During your first year, with the assistance of your First Year advisor and others, you will begin to build an education suited to your goals and interests. List the top three expectations you have for your academic advising experience.

1.  Help me to put together a schedule that is best for me and for my undergraduate degree program.
  2.  Be available for me to talk about my concerns and struggles, and offer me solutions to best deal with them.
  3.  Assist me in beginning planning to bring my dream of studying abroad a reality.

5. College courses can also be significantly different from high school courses. They can be harder than many high school courses in that you are expected to do more reading, writing, and problem solving outside of the classroom than in high school. You are also expected to need fewer reminders about homework and project due dates. In addition, the material is usually covered at a quicker pace than in high school. However, there are also differences that make this transition easier. Organized collaborative learning groups, course specific tutorials, study technique workshops and tutorials, and most important, and meetings with advisors and professors are all there to support you in the transition. In fact, as compared to high school, most professors expect to have considerable outside of class interaction with their students (to answer questions, give direction about study techniques, etc.) to ease the transition. List your top 3 expectations for your college courses:

1. Have a professor that is available during office hours, and who is willing to provide the answers and assistance I need to understand and succeed.
  2. Teach the material at a level that is challenging and thorough, testing my limits and pushing me to better myself and my skills.
  3. Contribute to a well-rounded education, and help me to gain knowledge and skills that will be useful in my further education and my future career.

6. What other information do you think it might be helpful for your advisor to know before your first individual meeting with him or her?

I am an NROTC scholarship midshipman. I am thrilled about this opportunity, yet it means that my major options are restricted. So, I would greatly appreciate if my advisor could help me work with the parameters of my scholarship to decide on the major that is best for me, and is best for my future career. My status as a designated Tier 2 major midshipman means I must study either a science, mathmatics, or engineering major, and I think it would really help to know my options as a student.

Submit this assignment to your advisor's "class" so he or she can review it. Follow the directions below:

1. Click on the Save button above (or below)
  2. Then click on the Publish tab above
  3. Click on the Publish Changes button (Sometimes it looks like nothing has happened when you do this, but click on the View Text tab and you will see that it did save the changes)
  4. And then, to submit this assignment, go to your Portfolio Tools tab at the top right hand side of this page, and click on Submit. Follow the directions. (It's a lot easier than it sounds.)

For details, see the FAQ: How do I submit my ePortfolio for an assignment?

Do you have immediate questions for your advisor? Email him or her if you'd rather not wait until your first meeting to discuss them.