Race In America

On Novermber 6th, I attended a Den Dialogue at the home of Professor Jessica Collett. After introductions, we began dinner and our discussion on the issues surrounding race in America. This was an interesting two hours; there were nine students, from different backgrounds, each contributing a unique perspective on every issue. Professor Collett initiated the convesation and then sat back and acted like a mediator at a political debate. Although she added some great points to the discussion, it was most eye-opening to hear where my fellow first years stood on our country's hottest issues.

My favorite part of the Den Dialogue was talking about the "Redskins controversy." I was a little hesitant to contribute since I am Native American; I felt as if I had to be an expert on the subject or I should just not talk at all. However, once I voiced my opinion, I could really tell that what I said made an impact. Feeling like my voice was heard inspires me to seek more opportunities that will integrate my conversational skills with current events.

All in all, this event was an amazing two experience. Professor Collett was very welcoming and in the process of debating current events, I learned a lot about myself. In the future, I would like to either find a Den Dialogue on medicine or just start a conversation about something scientific. The most important thing I got out of this was that I understand how having more open conversations with my peers and teachers can aid my personal and academic development.