Writing for Theatre: Visualizing Character

Dr. Anne García-Romero

Tuesday 7 April 2015

5:30 - 7:00 pm

Coleman-Morse 217 (Conference Room)

Over the course of this year, being involved in the arts has become more and more important to me. In my free time, my involvement with theatre helps me to balance my stressful class schedule; however, I had always focused on performance and being on the stage. During Dr. García-Romero's Renaissance Circle, I was able to experiment with playwrighting and artistic expression through creation of character. Dr. García-Romero has written numerous plays that are being put on all across the country. Just hearing about her success has made reconsider how I can incorporate what I love into my career. If I were able to balance my aspirations for a career in research with involvement in theatre (in the same way that Dr. García-Romero balances teaching with playwrighting), I would be able to continue to grow as a person and not just as a scientist. 

Dr. García-Romero told us how she wrote

her play Paloma and had us use similar strategies

to create fictional characters of our own.

During the exercise I created a character named Jason. The exercise included visualizing his character and answering some of the following questions...

What are his hopes?

What are his fears?

Who is the most important person to him?

What is the most important object for him?

After answering these and a couple more questions, we were asked to think about what our character looked like, where he was, what he was doing, and how he felt. From there we were instructed to write a monologue that began "What I really mean to say is...".

The one thing that struck me about this exercise was that even though I didn't end up wanting to write a whole act or an entire play, during the exercise the character felt real to me. I was able to picture him as if he was sitting right next to me. After a little more practice, I could definitely see myself writing something that other people could enjoy!