Living the Renaissance Ideal as a Person of Faith

Dr. Matthew Kubik

Tuesday 9 December 2014

5:30 - 7:00 pm

Coleman-Morse 217 (Conference Room)

Dr. Kubik's presentation on "living as a person of faith in the 21st century" was his last lecture after a thirty year career as a professor at IU and Purdue. I was lucky to share in this sentimental moment for Dr. Kubik and really enjoyed hearing his perspective on how to live as a person of faith. Dr. Kubik is a member of the Episcopalian church in South Bend; his ideas about the role of a person of faith in respect to the environment, philanthropism, and reliving the renaissance ideal were very interesting to hear. Dr. Kubik was able to share with me a unique perspective about life and religion that made me rethink the role of faith in my life.

Although Dr. Kubik did not give a specific "challenge" at the end of his talk, he asked us all to let faith take a bigger role in our life. Dr. Kubik inspired me to get involved in interfaith efforts at Notre Dame and I went on to have a life-changing conversation with Interfaith Youth Core founder Eboo Patel and stimulating interfaith conversations at Notre Dame. Since then, I have worked to become proficient in talking about religion, race, and culture. It is precisely this type of cross-disciplinary dialogued that has helped me grow as a person and move towards being a "21st Century Da Vinci."