Exploring Majors

Reflect on Father John Jenkins's challenge to the fall 2009 First Year Studies Dean's Lists award winners:  Take Risks, Listen to your Voice, Discover your Passions, Find your Flow, Refine your Rhythm, Sharpen your Talents, and Share your Gifts.

I think Father Jenkins's challenges to the Dean's Lists award winners symbolize everything that needs to be done in order to pick the right major. Each piece of advice is a hidden gem that signified much more than its surface meaning. The first piece of advice is to take risks; if you don't take risks, you may never venture into the field of study in which you are meant to be. Next is listen to your voice; inside of each one of us there is a inner voice for all of our desires, hopes and dreams. When we listen to our inner voice we leave room for discernment. After that Father Jenkins encourages us to discover our passions; passion should be the driving force behind everythign we do. Without passion, we run the risk of our major becoming 'a chore.' When Father Jenkins tells us to find our flow, he is telling us that once we realize how we work and learn we will be able to free our minds for deciding what we want to do with the rest of our lives. Refining our rhythm means essentially the same thing as finding your flow; not only are we urged to find what works, but also keep improving our habits and routines that help us flourish. When he tells us to sharpen our talents he is telling us that as we work to become better at the things we do, we should shape those talents and use them to decide on a major. Finally Father Jenkins challenges us to share our gifts; after we develop the gifts that we were meant to have, we should strive to share them with the world.

Watch YouTubeEdu.  Browse through the videos (pay attention to related videos-the power of social recommendation) and watch a few lectures.  Make a list of a few videos you found interesting or intend to watch, include the links to the videos. Links to review: YouTubeEdu at www.youtube.com/edu

Read and respond to the following article "Your College Major May Not Be As Important As You Think." See http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/03/major/?src=mv&ref=us

It is interesting to see that in some aspects choosing a college major may not be the most important decision you make pertaining to your education. It seems very important to have a clear cut path of study that correlates to your intended career, but when it comes down to it, learning life skills is just as important as getting experience. It's true that it will help you to major in a science if you want to go to medical school, but depending on what you want to do with your college degree, there could be more to you major decision. Employers want communications skills, so it can be equally as important to take writing and communications classes as it is to take your intro's that pertain to your major. In the end, college is about developing as a person, and the more you explore the better you'll be prepared for life after your degree.

Dean Page's Imagination Excerise

Today's Date and Time: Sunday November 16, 2014 9:00 p.m.

Ten Years in the Future: Saturday November 16, 2024 9:00 p.m.

What Am I Doing?

On a Saturday night, ten years from now, I hope to be on my couch at home after a long (and hopefully successful) week at work. Ideally, I would have all my extra work done and I'd be able to enjoy a weekend night reading a book or (more likely) watching a movie with my family.

What kind of attire/uniform am I wearing to work?

I'm not entirely sure what I'd wear to work; I'm not much of a shirt-and-tie guy and I can't picture myself wearing a suit everyday. It's much more likely that I'd be wearing some sort of business casual attire, working in a lab, or maybe even scrubs if I pursue medical school.

What does my office, cubicle, or workplace look like?

I could see myself working in a lab, with a set amount of benchspace, a lounge for small breaks, and an office. I could get my work done at my bench, relax in the lounge, and read papers in my quiet office.

What kind of work are you doing?

Research, Research, Research. Whether or not there is a clinical aspect to my career, I would love to spend all of my days doing experiments.

What kind of people are you eating lunch with?

I'd probably eat lunch with my colleagues. Whether I go to medical school or go to get a Ph.D. I could see myself spending my lunch breaks at a nearby cafeteria or coffee shop with fellow residents or lab members.