In January of 2015, Eboo Patel came to speak at Notre Dame. Eboo Patel, founder of Interfaith Youth Core and one-time advisor to President Barack Obama, travels the country spreading his message of interfaith communication. Mr. Patel is a muslim, but told us the story of how he found a revival of his faith at the Catholic Worker House. The morning after his presentation, I went to a breakfast at the Morris inn with the IFYC leaders and three other Notre Dame students. 

Over breakfast, I spoke to Mr. Patel about how growing up Muslim in a christian country has influenced his life. I was blown away by the way he was able to quote leaders from all religions; during our conversation we talked for a while about Vatican II and Nostrae Aetate. I was inspired by Mr. Patel and he encouraged me to think differently about people of other religions.

Ever since my conversation with Mr. Patel I have worked to not judge others, especially those of other religious denominations. After hearing Mr. Patel's approach to people of other religions, secular people, and aetheists, I have a totally new perspective.