Personal Nutrition

My class on personal nutrition encompassed a lot of reflection and learning about how nutrition is viewed in our culture. One of our classes included watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7cCIg8iDQ) and writing a short reflection included below.

The articles for reading three made me totally rethink the grocery store. I had never considered the psychology that goes into manipulating and controlling shoppers. Some of the tactics explained in the articles seemed dishonest: faulty expirations dates, fake crates, and politically competed for spots on a shelf. I think the thing that upset me the most was how grocery stores store information about their customers without telling them. All of this just leads to an over controlled environment where groceries store owners can make the healthiest and cheapest foods hardest to find. However, while reading the article, I realized that the articles described my grocery store perfectly. It's scary how a seemingly-generic article can describe a store so close to home. I think the close to home feeling that the grocery store creates makes us want to believe that our local stores are one-of-a-kind; this just goes to show that, in reality, almost all grocery stores use the same tactics to get us to buy unhealthy food as long as it keeps us coming and buying. 

Yoga

My yoga class focused on vinyasa and how starting your morning with this type of exercise can benefit your health. Below I have attached a chart on all the vinyasa positions, many of which I used in the class and after for relaxation.