I am an Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Economics.  My research interests include the determinants of citizenship among the foreign born in the United States, country-specific human capital, fertility of the foreign born in the United States, gender preference and assimilation of Asian immigrants, and child labor.  I am actively involved in research with the Notre Dame Initiative for Global Development. I received my Ph.D. and M. A. from the University of Illinois at Chicago and her B.A. from Lake Forest College.  I teach Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Statistics, Labor Economics, Health Economics, Economics of Immigration and Senior Research Project for International Economics majors. 

Prior to Notre Dame, I taught at Lake Forest College, University of Illinois at Chicago, and Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (Baltimore and Hong Kong), receiving an award for teaching excellence.  I chose Notre Dame because it is the perfect combination of a liberal arts school focusing on individual students and a big research university.  I was born in the Czech Republic and my family still lives there. I have two teenage boys and we love being part of the Notre Dame family. Go Irish!