I am an Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Economics and a fellow of the Kellogg Institute for International Studies and the Liu Institute for Asia and Asian Studies. My research interests include the determinants of citizenship among the foreign born in the United States, country-specific human capital, fertility of the foreign born in the United States, gender preference and assimilation of Asian immigrants, and child labor in Nepal. I am actively involved in research with the Notre Dame Initiative for Global Development. I received my Ph.D. and M. A. from the University of Illinois at Chicago and her B.A. from Lake Forest College.  I teach Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Statistics, Labor Economics, Health Economics, Economics of Immigration, and Senior Research Project for International Economics majors. I also teach Economic Demography of China as a faculty-led study abroad program through Notre Dame International. 

Prior to Notre Dame, I taught at Lake Forest College, University of Illinois at Chicago, and Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (Baltimore and Hong Kong), receiving an award for teaching excellence. I chose Notre Dame because it is the perfect combination of a liberal arts school focusing on individual students and a big research university. I was born in the Czech Republic and my family still lives there. My husband (Notre Dame '99 MS in aerospace engineering) and I stay busy with five kids and we love being part of the Notre Dame family. Go Irish!