My name is Emma Shimek, and I am from Erie, Pennsylvania, home to the most beautiful sunsets in the world. This advising ePortfolio is intended as a space for me to reflect on my experiences at Notre Dame as well as to showcase my achievements and progress during my first year under the dome. I intend to study Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in bioengineering. My intention is that this academic combination will allow me to pursue a career in pertaining to biomedical engineering, specifically in the field of biomechanics and prosthetics. I also have a very strong interest in orthopedics and potentially being able not only to create orthopedic devices, but implant them as well. For this reason, I am exploring the options of the Engineering Corporate Practice minor to improve my knowledge of the intersection of engineering and business, as well as Pre-Med studies to prepare me for the option of medical school. By the end of my freshman year, I hope to have narrowed down the options for my future as well as to have gained valuable experiences and knowledge that will allow me to go out and have a positive impact on the world!

Outside of the classroom, I am involved in clubs like the Society of Women Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Iron Sharpens Iron, and am looking to add a few more in the future. I am also very active and cannot sit still for too long, so I am very involved in sports like flag football, soccer, rugby, and basketball. When I am not on the beautiful campus of Notre Dame, I enjoy spending time with my family and dog, riding my bike, spending time on the water, hiking, driving with the windows down (and music up!), and exploring new places and things.

God Bless and Go Irish!