The World Hunger Coaltion

The World Hunger Coalition is definitely a dark horse when itcomes to service activities at Notre Dame. Its primary function is to organize the annual Wednesday Lunch Donation, in which I participated. This program collects money that would normally be spent on supplying food for student lunches on Wednesdays. Instead this money is collected in an account and then donated to local or global initiatives to fight hunger. We bring in a staggering $15,000 a year and have done so for the past few years. Most of the time we choose to support Mary's Meals or the South Bend food bank, though this past year, we discovered that we had an additional $15,000 saved from previous years, so we donated that to an orphanage in Zimbabwe.

However, the group does lack transarency in most of its operations and very few participating students have a say in decision-making. That is why, next year, I hope to step up as a leader in this group and work towards a more open organisational setup. I also want to organize a fundraiser in the spring that will not only raise additional funds for our initiatives but also celebrate the work of donors and our own team.