I am one of the mysterious Architecture majors on campus. While it is rare to see us outside of Bond Hall, we are actually very nice and quite sociable.

I, like many of my classmates, was pretty set on being an architect pretty early on. We often say that architecture chooses you, not the other way around. Because of the demanding nature of the course, it takes a certain kind of person, who really loves the field of architecture, to want to take on the challenges of the B. Arch program. I was one such person. I grew up travelling across the country and seeing different architectural styles everywhere I went. It fascinated me that a building that looks so different from another could be just as effective as another at doing the exact same thing.

My parents also instilled in me a love for the arts. I was put in art classes from a very young age. They took me to art museums when I was little, where, out of boredom, I began to find art that I liked and disliked because looking at those pieces was better than nothing for my 8 year old self. I also had a sketchbook with me at all times. I, being the youngest, was taken to my siblings music lessons, sports practices, and school activities, and in order to entertain myself on my own, I would draw. 

The combination of all of these things pointed directly to my choosing architecture as my major. It is, in many ways, majoring in everything because you have to have a knowledge of every element that goes into the building. At other times though, it feels like majoring in advanced kindergarten: draw pictures, color inside the lines, work well with others, and solve puzzles.

It might be difficult, the late nights and long hours working might be considered unhealthy and those who choose my major, myself included, might be considered strange, weird, reclusive, intimidating or a whole host of other things, but I would not trade it for any other major in the world.