Entry #2: Journal Responses

1. September 22 concert response: What thoughts and emotions did you have during and after the concert? What are ways in which you might imagine people from Appalachia contributing to the beauty and culture of their community? How do the arts invite you into a community’s struggles in unique ways? How will you go about seeking the strengths of people’s lives and stories while on immersion? How can music be used for advocacy or awareness raising?

Initially, I was not really looking forward to attending the concert, because I was in the middle of a stressful midterms week, and I thought I had already heard enough Appalachian music to last me a lifetime. When I was in the third grade, my family moved to Asheville, North Carolina for a year. As a stubborn nine year old who did not like change, I absolutely hated the town, the people, and the culture – mostly out of spite. A big part of the Asheville culture that I did not like was folk music, and this previous poor experience did not offer me an initially positive view on the concert. However, I was pleasantly surprised by my experience with the music. What I heard was nothing like the twangy, obnoxious music that I hated in my youth. Instead, the band played a great mixture of folk music, blues, pop songs, and even original songs of peace and freedom. The hour and a half I spent in Washington Hall really allowed me a new perspective on the Appalachian culture, and I imagine I will have a similar change in outlook during my experience in this seminar. Although music is a great part of this culture, I imagine that the people in Appalachia also contribute to the beauty of their community in other ways. Probably the most important of these is respecting and publicizing the beauty of nature, because the Appalachian Mountains are home to many beautiful views, especially in the fall.

5. General: After reading, lectures, concert, and watching media pieces (Overburden and Hollow Documentary), what are some reactions and thoughts? What are two questions, two excitements, and two concerns about your upcoming immersion?

All of the media I have encountered in preparation for this trip has discussed the immense poverty and lack of opportunity for those in the Appalachia area. However, my service trip will take place in Morgantown, West Virginia, which is one of the more well-off areas of the state. Morgantown has actually grown in the population in recent years, and its unemployment and average income statistics are significantly superior to the rest of the West Virginia. In addition, a large percentage of Morgantown residents continue on to higher education, especially in comparison to the rest of the area. This makes me wonder about how my experience will compare to the rest of the groups traveling to poorer areas of Appalachia. Will being in Morgantown give me a skewed perspective on the quality of life in Appalachia? Will the poverty be as apparent, and will I be able to make as much of a difference, in Morgantown? Despite these questions, I am very excited to be able to spend time working with children and learning about their lives. In addition, I am excited to learn about a new culture and see the beautiful culture present in Appalachia in the fall. Finally, I am concerned about my ability to live in The Shack community, probably sleeping on the floor, with limited shower resources and sleep. In addition, I am concerned if I have the skills needed to help the children in the ways they need it most. However, I am sure that I will have a positive experience during this seminar, and I will be able to make a big impact in the community.