Initial Thoughts

To introduce yourself to your First Year advisor, use the Edit tab above and answer the questions in the spaces below, then click on "save" and "publish."  These questions should take about 15 to 20 minutes to answer. Explore the resource link, if you like, for ideas and prompts to assist you in answering these questions. Then submit the assignment to your advisor (directions for submitting assignments are below).

1. What are you most looking forward to about attending Notre Dame and what would you like to accomplish during your first year?

In all honesty, I never thought that I would end up at Notre Dame. Even though it's been a big part of my family ever since my grandfather went in the 50s, I never imagined that I would follow and find my home under the dome. Even after going to numerous football games and tailgates, watching ND football every Saturday throughout my childhood, and wearing the sweatshirts all my life, I never thought I could actually be a student here. When it came down to deciding, I was drawn to Notre Dame's tight-knit community, rigorous academic program, and the feeling of family, and I'm looking forward to those aspects in my time here at ND. I'm also looking forward to creating my own traditions, whether they be at football games or in classrooms, and finding my place and family at Notre Dame. 

I would like to do well in my classes my first year, and explore new interests. I want to take the first semester to explore academics, clubs, and student organizations. I'm thinking about auditioning for the Symphony Orchestra, and continuing my hospital volunteer experience at St. Joseph's or another local hospital. I've been tailgating for quite some time (as the picture below shows), but I would also love to go to football games and cheer for the Irish in the student section! 

2. What areas of study or possible majors are you considering? How did you develop these interests and what is it about these areas of study you find compelling? What influenced your present ideas about possible majors?

I have loved biology ever since I was little, and there is nothing else I could imagine majoring in. When I was a kid, I would devour Bill Nye the Science Guy books (yes, those do exist), watch programs on the Science channel, and spend hours pouring over Wikipedia and my mom's old science textbooks. During my AP Biology course junior year, I never complained about the amount of homework we had to do because I loved learning about it so much. 

Studying biology is like finding a whole other world that's hidden right in front of your eyes, and the applications are endless. One part of my AP Biology course that especially interested me was when my teacher talked about a clinical trial to treat Cystic Fibrosis in which a patient's genome is manipulated in order to stop the expression of the cystic fibrosis gene. This sparked a lot of research into medical genetics, gene therapy, and immunotherapy. While I'm not sure where my studies may take me, these fields of study remain compelling, and I hope I will get a chance to explore these specific areas of biology at Notre Dame. 

Aside from my interests in science and biology, I'm also an avid reader and lover of literature. My favorite books are East of Eden, Les Miserables, and my favorite play is Pygmalion. I feel that a double major would not be doable in four years, along with all of the extra-curriculars I want to participate in, and with applying to medical school. I'm still interested in exploring my love of literature and English, even though I may not major in it. I'm also interested in Philosophy, so I'm excited about taking a few classes my first year to explore that interest as well. 

3. What skills do you hope to begin developing through your First Year courses and experiences (written and oral communication skills, leadership skills, research skills, analytical skills, cultural competency skills, etc.)? How will these skills help you prepare for your future?

As a future scientist, it comes as no surprise that research and analytical skills are a first priority. What often gets left out of the pursuit of science and logic is the need for creativity and expression. Tthe First Year science courses will certainly help me develop the rhetorical and analytical skills necessary for formulating research papers, scientific articles, and grant proposals in the future. It goes without saying that leadership and communication skills are necessary to coordinate care and help for people. But I feel it is also important to develop an appreciation of art, literature, and culture, as this, according to John Keating from the film "Dead Poets Society," "is what we stay alive for."

4. Everyone has some apprehensions about their first year of college. They often worry about their ability to manage the separation from family and friends, making new friends, living with a roommate, fitting in a new environment, or having enough money, (find their place at Notre Dame). I plan to be comfortable and find my place at Notre Dame by (Be specific)

I plan to be comfortable and find my place at Notre Dame by being more outgoing and introducing myself to new people, joining clubs focused on biology, music, literature, and going to football games.

The biggest change coming from high school is the lack of a constant schedule, and the advent of more freedom to plan your time. I'm going to use a planner and smartphone apps to help keep me productive, so I can have some time to make friends and do things I enjoy, rather than stressing about classes because I procrastinated. In addition, I'm going to be open to new experiences, and try as many new things as possible. I never want to regret not having done something during my first year. 

5. List the top 3 concerns (e.g. “speaking in French class” / “staying in contact with my parents, who live in Beijing”) you have about your transition into college. Be Specific.

1. Missing out on a great experience or club that I didn't know about
  2. Sharing a bathroom with many people
  3. Managing my time effectively and maximizing my first year

6. List the top 3 of your expectations walking into an advising session.

I would expect the advisor to be:

1. Very knowledgeable about my major and the different paths within it
  2. Helpful by showing me different resources and opportunities
  3. Open about showing me activities or extra-curriculars that I didn't know about. 

7. List the top 3 of your expectations walking into a college classroom.

I would expect a college classroom to: 

1. Have a community of students who are engaged and ready to learn
  2. Have a professor that cares about me as a student and an individual
  3. Provide an environment where it's safe to share ideas, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes 

8. In what ways would you particularly like to take advantage of ND outside of the classroom (have one-to-one conversations with your professors; go to the Snite Museum of Art or see a performance at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center; attend an ND Ignite event; have a significant conversation with someone with a background different from your own; become involved in clubs or other activities or volunteer work; etc.)? See the Dean's A-List.

Having close relationships with professors is one of the things that I'm looking forward to at Notre Dame, and I intend to take advantage of office hours and start developing relationships with professors. I would love to volunteer at clinics or hospitals either on campus or in the area, and help people in need anywhere on campus. I would also like to continue with music in the Symphony Orchestra. I'm also thinking of joining Le Cercle Francais to continue my study and involvement in French although I have placed out of my language requirement. I've always loved visiting the Grotto as a kid, and I know I'm going to spend much more time there as a student. 

Feel free to add any other information that you think might be useful for your First Year advisor to know and then submit this assignment to your advisor's "class" so he or she can review it. Follow the directions below:

1) Click on the Save button above (or below)
2) Then click on the Publish tab above
3) Click on the Publish Changes button (Sometimes it looks like nothing has happened when you do this, but click on the View Text tab and you will see that it did save the changes)
4) And then, to submit this assignment, go to your Portfolio Tools tab at the top right hand side of this page, and click on Submit. Follow the directions. (It's a lot easier than it sounds.) 

See FAQ: How do I submit my ePortfolio for an assignment? if you have more questions about submitting your assignment.

Do you have immediate questions for your advisor? Email him or her if you'd rather not wait until your first meeting to discuss them.