1. Have a Life-Changing Conversation

The first time I went into office hours for any professor in college was a daunting experience. However, my conversation with my first biology professor last semester proved to be a very rewarding experience.

Initially, I went in to discuss research opportunities and how to approach faculty at the University about undergraduate research. I told my professor that I was interested in cancer research, but that I didn't know where to begin. Being a senior member of the Biological Sciences department, he knew just the right professors for me to contact. He also helped me draft my first emails to these professors, and one of them ended up being my directed readings professor this semester. 

In addition to our conversations about research, we also talked about his Notre Dame story. He started out at MD Anderson, but moved to ND for the close-knit and campus feel. His experience at MD Anderson actually inspired me to look into and apply for their summer programs! I also found out that he lived in New Jersey, and even though we lived in separate parts of the state.

All in all, this professor has been instrumental in helping me get started in research and start my academic career at ND. I am forever grateful to him for allowing me to formulate my first college research emails, and for pointing me towards the professors that will help me explore my passions in research.