Hello, my name is Maggie Walsh. I'm from West Windsor, New Jersey, which is just outside of Princeton. I am a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame, majoring in Anthropology and minoring in Irish Studies. Outside of class, I serve as a music director for WVFI, the student radio station and I tutor ESL students in the South Bend community. My personal interests include travelling, listening to music, reading, and watching good movies, and I have a special passion for Irish culture and Spanish culture. Welcome to my ePortfolio for the Fall 2015 Appalachia Seminar. This will serve as a space to not only complete my assignments for the seminar, but also to reflect on and record my experience.

The Appalachia seminar is a unique experience in which students are able to travel to various locations in the Appalachian mountains (this includes West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina, among others) during their fall break and serve the communities in various respects. Students can choose to work housing repair, healthcare, education, energy, and many more.

I personally chose to participate in the Appalachia Seminar because throughout high school I participated in the Appalachian Service Project (ASP), and it was both life changing and eye opening. As soon as I heard that Notre Dame offered this seminar, I wanted to be a part of it. This fall, I am so excited to be heading to Webster Springs, WV with the WVMAW (West Virginia Ministry of Advocacy and Workcamps) to repair houses and meet new people, both from Notre Dame and in the communities we will serve.

Please enjoy exploring this ePortfolio, I hope it will provide some insight into my thoughts and experiences throughout this seminar.