Every year, the Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars Program accepts 25 first-year student applicants who are of "African, Asian, Latin, or Native American descent." Upon acceptance to the program, the students spend a month taking college-level classes taught by Notre Dame faculty. Not only does the program help high school graduates adjust to college academic life, but it also provides a network of peers heading into the year. Looking forward past the month long program and into the following summer, previous students accepted into the program can apply for up to "$7,000 in funding to support their work on an original undergraduate research project, an internship, a national or international service opportunity, or international study." Since the program has been in existence, graduates of this program can be found all throughout the Notre Dame's campus. It even turned out that my RA was a senior who also went through the Balfour-Hesburgh program. Needless to say, being a part of this program jumped start my first-year success and the foundation will provide enough support to help me navigate through the rest of my college career.

Reference: The Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars Website