Mid-year Adjustments and Plans

Mid-year is a good time to revise and refine your plans and goals in light of your first semester experiences.  Using the Edit tab above please answer the following questions in the spaces below, then click on "Save" and "Publish."  Even though there are more questions on this assignment, it should only take about 15 to 20 minutes to complete. Feel free to take longer if you like and use the resource link for prompts and more assistance in brainstorming your replies. Then submit the assignment to your advisor (directions for submitting assignments are below).

1. List the top 3 struggles (e.g. “keeping on top of my Writing and Rhetoric course” / “meeting a person I can actually talk to” / “finding a place I can sit and think”) you had during your first semester of college. Be Specific.

1. Finding my own social niche

2. Dealing with how different I was, both in terms of experiences and opinions

3. Meeting my personal expectations in Chemistry

2. List the top 3 things (e.g. “the Lacrosse team” / “my electrical engineering class” / “Waddick’s Café” / “keeping a diary” ) that have most helped you find your place at Notre Dame. Be Specific.

1. The Triathlon Club

2. Keenan Hall

3. The Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars

3. Thinking back to your Initial Thoughts, when you listed your expectations of walking into a college classroom, in what ways have your expectations been met or not met?

My expectations have been met for the most part, but I believe they have not been fully met because of my own outlook on some of my classes. I stated that I expected a supportive professor, interested peers, and engaging material. While the former two are mostly true, I have found that my last expectation has come from my own interest in a subject. I realized that the coursework was only as interesting as I made it to be.

4. Thinking back to your Initial Thoughts, when you listed your expectations of walking into an advising session, in what ways have your expectations been met or not met?

The three expectations from my Initial Thoughts were:

1. A supportive environment

2. Goal-setting advice and methods to accomplish my goals

3. Answers for my questions or resources to find answers

All these expectations were met, and my advising session left nothing to be desired.

5. Every student feels like he or she has failed something - a paper, an exam, an audition or tryout. What are some ways that you have managed to rebound from setbacks? Which classes were most challenging, and how did you handle these challenges?

I recovered from my failures and setbacks through exercise. I found my practice sessions with triathlon club to be very relaxing, and I would not have accepted and recovered from my failures if not for the practices. These disappointments usually came from my Chemistry class, and I would say that it was my most challenging class.

6. If you were in an interview for a job or internship and asked the following questions: how would you respond? What are your greatest academic strengths and how have you grown intellectually over the last four months?

I would respond with the following: 

My intellectual growth has involved more than just the acquisition of new information. I have learned how to appreciate what I learn, and find the subject which I truly enjoy studying: mathematics. I have found my strengths and weaknesses in academics: I believe that I can learn anything that I am required to learn, but finding the time an motivation for such a feat can be difficult. This is the challenge that I have been working on overcoming in my first semester, and I hope to find a solution to this issue in my second semester by finally locating a true sense of motivation.

7. Which classes have you found most interesting and why? Is there a topic (related to those classes or not) on which you might, eventually, like to do a short- or long-term research project?

I have found my mathematics and economics courses to be most interesting. Both courses have introduced completely new concepts to me inw ays that I could not have previously imagined, especially in terms of my mathematics courses. As a result, I hope to participate in a long-term research project with a mathematics/economics professor that involves heavy usage of abstract mathematics, as I believe such a project will help foster my abilities and my interest in the subject.

8. Which of your study strategies are working well for you and which are not? On average, how many hours each week did you spend in the fall solely focused on homework assignments, reading, and studying? What adjustments in how you study do you hope to make in the coming semester?

I find that simply sitting down and working at the homework/material works best for me. I eventually figure out the solutions to problems using this method, and if this does not work, I try to participate in group study sessions or go to office hours. These have proved to be notably helpful, and I plan on using these opportunities more often now that my classes do not have office hours that conflict with each other.

9. What opportunities have you used to learn outside the classroom, and how did they increase your skills (cultural competencies, creativity, interpersonal, leadership, communication, organizational, or other skills)?

I attended various cultural events outside the classroom at the Browning Cinema. I also attended speeches and events directed at students in my major, but I feel as though these cultural events had a more significant impact on me,  especially because of the horizons they opened for me. I attended a film about competitive video gaming, a comedic mishmash of Shakespeare's most famous works, various classic films, and more. They offered me cultural experiences that I never expected to engage in during college.

10. What major are you now considering studying? What do you find intriguing about it and how has your interest in this area developed at ND? How confident do you feel about your present choice?

I plan on studying Mathematics with a minor in Actuarial Science. My Honors Calculus course has solidified my interest in the subject, as it always provides me with problems to solve. I am very confident in my choice, and I am willing to stick with it. I believe that I can succeed as a Math major. All I need to do is not goof off (which, right now, seems like a difficult task).

11. Take a few minutes to explore the webpage of the major you are considering or the pertinent pages of the Bulletin of Information to see what courses you need to take over the next three and a half years to complete the major. (See the FYS Advising ePortfolio Resources link for both.) Do you have the prerequisite courses and/or skills to do well in this area of study?

Yes, I do have the prerequisite courses for my major. The only concern I have is for my minor, which requires an Economics course before sophomore year. I may have to take this class over summer. I will also have to take up to three math courses in one semester, and I am somewhat hesitant about that. I plan on speaking to my Math advisor about my concerns.

12. Many seniors will say they wish that they archived and showcased some of their best work through the years. Spend a few minutes, attaching (https://sites.google.com/site/ndeepresources/support/blog/how-to-upload-file-within-text) below a ur best first-semester work (essays, projects, presentations, problem sets, or the like).

This is a proof I made in Latex for my math course:

Once you have completed your mid-year adjustments and plans page, you will need to submit this assignment so your advisor can review it. Follow the directions below:

1) Click on the Save button above (or below)
2) Then click on the Publish tab above
3) Click on the Publish Changes button (Sometimes it looks like nothing has happened when you do this, but click on the View Text tab and you will see that it did save the changes)
4) And then, to submit this assignment, go to your Portfolio Tools tab at the top right hand side of this page, and click on Submit. Follow the directions. (It's a lot easier than it sounds.) 

See FAQ: How do I submit my ePortfolio for an assignment? if you have more questions about submitting your assignment.

Do you have immediate questions for your advisor? Email him or her if you'd rather not wait until your first meeting to discuss them.