SP Cap 6: Prompt 1

Prompt 1

Engage with Diverse Communities

Coming from Los Angeles, California, the place where I was born and raised as a Cuban-American, to South Bend was quite the transition in regards to getting  acclimated to a new community. I realized while I was here at Notre Dame, though, that coming from such a unique background allowed me the opportunity to share my culture with others. Growing up in a Cuban-American family meant that I always heard stories of how my grandparents had to flee when Castro came into power. They came to America, a place that took them in with open arms. They were always very appreciative for this, but growing up, they stressed the importance of holding on to our Cuban heritage and traditions. So they taught me how to cook the foods and speak Spanish. These are elements of my li  fe I have shared here by practicing Spanish with friends, telling them about my family and the traditions we have, and cooking Cuban food for them as well. In sharing my own culture and stories with others, I realized the importance of learning about others’ cultures as well. This is why I chose to learn a new language: French, and participate more in that culture by attending coffee hours where I could talk to others about French experiences. Additionally, my roommate and I were able to participate in Las Posadas in December, and attend Spanish mass in Dillon Hall.  In this way, I have engaged more with diverse communities here on campus.

This relates to the Holy Cross Pillar of mind. Mind allows us the opportunity to appreciate diverse perspectives. In my second year at Notre Dame, I believe that the pillar of mind can help me to continue to appreciate diverse perspectives. It also involves ed  ucating others, and as a newly elected Multicultural Commissioner for Ryan Hall, I believe that I will have the chance to share diverse cultures with others more in hopes of educating them about them. I would like to run a multicultural food festival day with my dorm so that members of our community can cook a food from their culture for others to try. Sharing food with others will help them to learn more about other cultures and understand those around them better, helping to encourage empathy. These are my goals as I move into a new year, and Mind helps me to participate in this aspect of my education.

SP Cap 6: Prompt 2

Prompt 2

Reflect on Intellectual, Professional, and Spiritual Lives

Throughout this year, I have had many chances to reflect on my intellectual, professional, and spiritual life. I think I have had the chance to grow in an intellectual way in that I am taking classes in what I love to do, film making, and have had the chance to learn more about my craft. I now understand better how to tell a story, why the images matter, and how the stories can impact people. Whether they get a good laugh from the story or learn something from it, I am happy when others have the chance to share in what I can make and my talents. Other classes and what I have learned from them have given me the chance to enhance my films. For example, Theology and my Shakespeare Literature Seminar have taught me how stories can be universal, impact many people, and how the themes and topics they cover affect generations. In terms of professional life, I have received many job opportunities, developed my resume more, and have gained more experience in the film industry. I have worked for Fighting Irish Media, and helped to broadcast games for ESPN. Additionally, I have taken a job at the Gender Relations Center, filming the show “Domer’s React” for next semester. These opportunities have helped me to gain more experience working in film, and it is due to the intellectual life I have developed on campus through my film classes. Lastly, in terms of my spiritual life, I have grown in that I have gotten more in touch with it. I realized this year how much my faith is a part of my spirituality, and how much it drives me to be doing what I am doing. I am happiest when giving back to others, whether that is through teaching or making films that impact others. So, I continue to surround myself with these opportunities.

I believe that this relates to the Holy Cross Pillar of Zeal. I am passionate about what I do in the realms of intellect, profession, and spirituality, and hope to share what I am learning and making with others. Taking the initiative to pursue what I love will hopefully inspire others to do the same, and as I move into my sophomore year at Notre Dame, I hope to continue to grow in these aspects of my life as well as Zeal. I will continue to strive to do well in my film classes, as well as my new jobs. My goal is to do prioritize these opportunities for the next semester as they make me happy, and I want to surround myself with the things that bring me and others joy.

SP Cap 6: Prompt 3

Prompt 3

Take Advantage of Crucial Academic and University Resources

This year, I have taken advantage of some crucial academic and university resources. I have utilized online resources through the library, inside ND, Go Irish, and Sakai, but I feel like I could do more with this learning goal. I have made meetings with advisors and professors, but want to be able to use more resources next year. One that I learned about more in Moreau was the career center. I am hoping to visit sometime soon for a resume review, but have not made the time to go yet.

I believe that this learning goal can relate to the pillar of Hope, and being able to trust in God’s plan. Relying on God also means taking advantage of the opportunities and resources that I have been given. I am very grateful for these resources, and that is why next semester, I hope to take advantage of them more – whether it is through tutoring for harder subjects, or going to the career center for a resume review.

Career Center Website: http://careercenter.nd.edu/

Schedule an Appointment: https://careercenter.nd.edu/students/schedule-your-appointment/

SP Cap 6: Prompt 4

Prompt 4

Cultivate and maintain a healthy lifestyle

This learning goal of cultivating and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the one that I should work on the most. This year, I have made time to play basketball, tried to eat healthier, and I joined the Women’s Boxing Club Team where I worked out for eight hours a week during the fall semester. There is still room to improve though.

This relates to the Holy Cross Pillar of Family. Family is about showing respect to all, and part of this is showing respect to oneself. It is also about bettering oneself for the sake of their family and others that they care about. Taking care of myself and my own well being is a part of this. For next year, I would like to pay more attention to what I eat, make my schedules better so that I can get more sleep and workout more, and take more time to myself to meditate or draw so that I can relax more. It is important to develop this type of lifestyle, both physically and mentally, which is why I believe I can improve on this more for next year. In order to improve on this, I want to express my gratitude more. This is something we discussed this semester, and one idea my friend suggested to do was to keep a gratitude jar and write down things that I am grateful for throughout the year. Then, at the end of the year, I can look back on what I wrote down and remind myself of what I am grateful for.

Video Transcript

Hey! Welcome to my office. Thanks for stopping by! So, here you are, about to take the Moreau First Year Experience Course. You’re probably wondering, What do I need to know before taking this course? Well, here are my ten tips for you.

1. Be open minded: The Moreau course has a lot to offer, from getting help in figuring out what you want to do, to having serious discussions about issues and society and on campus. The only way to get something out of these conversations, though, is by being open minded and listening to what others have to say.  
  2. Take the chance to challenge yourself and get to know yourself more.
  3. Learn about new experiences: Everyone will bring a new experience to the course, and you can learn from them, so make sure to listen.  
  4. Think about the responses you give to the readings and how they relate to your life, especially in relation to life at Notre Dame.
  5.  Meet new people: Don’t be scared to get to know others in your class. They’re from your neighborhood, which gives you the chance to meet people who live by you. This is a great opportunity to make new friends.  
  6. Keep the conversations going outside of class. There is always more to talk about.
  7. Share: This class is about your experiences too, and everyone will be missing out if they don’t get to hear your unique perspective on the topics.  
  8. Make the class experiential. For example, if it’s about your well-being, take some time that week to workout or go on a walk. Or, if you talk about the career center, schedule an appointment for a resume review. It couldn’t hurt!
  9. Do the readings: Even if you disagree with what you read for the week, it is important to expose yourself to different opinions and have evidence for what you talk about in class.
  10. Make an effort: This is a class where you will get out what you put in. If you make the effort, this class can lead to great things like new friends, opportunities to get involved on campus, and new insights. But, that is all dependent on you and the effort you put in. So give it your best shot.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope the tips helped, and good luck in Moreau!