Food.  Friends.  Fun.

Advertising the Spring Wellness Expo

This project was a collaboration with Notre Dame's McDonald Center for Student Well-Being, aiming to promote one of their biannual Wellness Expo.  In my posters, I tried to strike a balance between "safe" or "by the books" imagery that aligned closely with McWell brand standards and imagery that was fun and more "out there."  Despite these two sharply contrasting design philosophies, my motto (ultimately, my message) spanned each poster: Food.  Friends.  Fun.

I really enjoyed this project because it really let me flex my creativity muscles.  I started with a few dozen raw images that I'd shot on one of the first nice days we had this year.  After that, I sat down and picked out my favorites, looking mostly at composition, planning ahead for text placement.  I whittled it down to fewer than ten pictures.  This is where the Photoshop magic began.

Non-destructive editing in Photoshop

The primary paradigm of all these posters was non-destructive editing.  The above screenshot shows how I used effect layers on Photoshop "Smart Objects," instead of applying effects directly to the pixels of an element.  Being able to easily tweak these effects greatly streamlined my workflow, and allowed me to explore a much broader range of ideas for each poster than a destructive workflow would have allowed.

When we, the class, presented our work to the McWell Center, I was very proud that the effort I put into message continuity did not go unnoticed; the representative from the center was both amused and impressed with the consistency (and conciseness) of the motto in each of my posters.

Banner photo credit: Paul Hammerton ("Camera")