Notre Dame Tiger

Telling the story of an Irish boxer

My audio project features Notre Dame undergrad Alex Cervantz ('18) and his favorite memories (so far) from school.  The aim of the project was to produce an audio clip for the Office of Admissions to present to prospective students and their parents.  For this reason, I did my best to focus the storytelling on emotions, challenges, and triumphs.

I've known Alex since we were freshmen, so it wasn't hard to get the ball rolling with his stories.  I ended up settling on one main thread, the boxing, and added a couple wild cards at the end (like Yacht Dance).  My goal with this decision was to recapture the attention of people who weren't interested in the boxing storyline, though I realize now it's unlikely they'd make it that far if they'd already lost interest.  In their current state, the final stories basically act as a light hearted conclusion highlighting some "fun" aspects of Notre Dame.

The biggest challenge I faced with this project was managing my time during production (though perhaps the root cause of this was improper preparation during the pre-production phase).  In short, I had only given myself enough time for one sit down with my interviewee, and the scheduling of the sound booth we were using limited us to two takes.  It wasn't until I sat down to edit the raw audio that I heard some major flaws in the sound quality.  It isn't necessarily evident in the screenshot below, but my final export had quite a bit of sweetening and effects.  Of course the trade-off here is that I got great practice repairing low quality raw audio.

Mid-production screenshot in Audacity

Banner photo credit: Craig Piersma ("Microphone")